The Col. Mary S. Feik Composite Squadron (F.K.A. the Annapolis Composite Squadron) is a Civil Air Patrol unit that is located at Lee Airport in Edgewater Maryland.
In the early uncertain days and months of World War II, thousands of Americans volunteered to assist with the the civilian defense of the country. While Civil Air Patrol (CAP) was officially formed on December 1st, 1941, it was not until late December and early January 1942 that Civil Air Patrol began recruiting members in the State of Maryland.
By early February 1942, meetings were already being held at Lee Airport (then known as Annapolis Airport) in forming a Civil Air Patrol unit. There was an active call for fliers and nonfliers, both men and woman, to join. At the time, no one under the age of 16 could join and no one under 18 would be assigned flight duties. Like today, members interested in joining were required to submit a fingerprint card that was checked by the FBI. By March 1942, Lee Airport was officially designated to operate during wartime. Finally, with all the items in place, Mr. D.B. Weber was selected as the squadron's first commander in April 1942.
On Sunday, April 19, 1942, the first four squadrons in Maryland Wing took to the air. Those first four units were based at Curtis-Wright Field, Rutherford Airport, Logan Field and Glen Burnie (Wipp Airport). The Annapolis Squadron was added to the Maryland Civil Air Patrol as the fifth squadron shortly after. None of those first four airports exist today. Only Lee Airport survives and continues to operate with a CAP unit.
From those early days in 1942 and through the decades to the present day, members of the Col Mary S Feik Squadron have assisted members of the community and the State of Maryland through search and rescue, Summer Bay Patrol, and homeland security related missions. In addition, the unit honors the community through it's participation in Veteran's Day and Memorial Day parades and laying wreaths at the graves of veterans during the winter holidays.
Members of the Col. Mary S. Feik Composite Squadron will always be ready to be called out to assist the needs of the community, the state, and the country. --credit 1stLt Khah Tran, 2012
Our Name Sake: Mary Feik.
Our squadron was originally chartered as the Annapolis Composite Squadron. We became the Col. Mary S. Feik Composite Squadron in 2016. Mary S, Feik joined Civil Air Patrol in 1982 and was a member of our squadron until her death in 2016. Weeks prior to her death, our squadron was officially re-chartered as the "Colonel Mary S. Feik Composite Squadron". Members of the squadron presented the official charter and new squadron patch design to Mary at her bedside in Annapolis. She said her "ultimate Honor" was the ribbon named after her.
Mary was a pioneer in women's aviation history. She was an American aviation engineer, mechanic, pilot, instructor and aircraft restorer. She received many awards and honors in her storied career and was a colonel in the Civil Air Patrol. For more information on the life and accomplishments of Mary Feik, please visit her Wikipedia page here.